Friday, January 20, 2012

Bonsai

Keeping to my resolutions already....

So the first luncheon of year was this past Wednesday (remember, I'm in charge of that and have to be nice to lots of women when they make me mad!). The speaker was a bonsai master. I was skeptical about the whole thing, but it turned out to be a really great program.

The bonsai master, Mr. Kobayashi, not only talked about bonsai, but did a live demonstration for us. It was really cool to see it change so drastically in so little time. Anywho, I also learnded some stuff about bonsai.
So first the facts and then the pictures
Bonsai is super, super old, but we all knew that. There are apparently 20 different kinds of designs you can choose from, each one highlighting something special. There are also 3, only 3, types of pots to plant them in, and their is a hierarchy of pot, as the square one is the best! Once a tree is trimmed, it does not need to be trimmed again for 3 years, imagine that. You just let it sit there and grow. One cool thing, was how they make the branches grow out to the side. Apparently you can cut out the inside of the bark, making it hollow and then breaking the branch to whichever side you like. Next you tape and wait for it to grow back and get healhty. Sounds simple right, but definitely looks like it hurts.
Ok, enough knowlege, here is the demonstration

Getting started

cutting away

some more working...so bare

The finished product...this style is Mr. Kobayashi's favorite, upright with little leaves. He didn't explain why its his favorite, so don't ask.

And just to show us a great bonsai, he brought along this guy, a 500yr old bonsai (not sure if I believe it, but who am I)

Definitely an interesting luncheon and better than I thought it would be. Bonsai can now be checked off my list of things to see/learn.

2 comments:

  1. So, you may have mentioned this, but will you have to change the name of your blog if/when you move?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought about this quite a bit. Not sure what I am going to do, but changing the name is the most logical thing to do

    ReplyDelete