Thursday, May 27, 2010

Trying to leave Tahiti


We were officially delayed 5 hours out of Tahiti (on Air Tahiti Nui), making our plane leave at 4:30am Monday morning, as opposed to 11:30pm Sunday night. We tried to get a hold of Singapore Air to change our flights from LA to Tokyo, since we would now miss our connection, but didn't have any luck. When we finally arrived in Papeete (Tahiti), all ticket counters were closed, so we were really SOL. Mike and I took a cab to the Intercontinental and booked a room...due to this disaster, they only had rooms with 2 singles bed in them, but we didn't care. We finally got to a computer and were able to get numbers to call SA to change our flight. We were scheduled to arrive in LA at 11am and then leave at 3pm on Monday to Tokyo, but we were able to change it to the next day because our delay was due to the Icelandic volcano. How, I have no idea, but that is what we were told.

Damn volcanic ash. We grabbed some quick dinner, and then it was time to get some sleep because it was going to be a long morning. We woke up and got to the airport by 1:30am to check in and what not. We got through everything and were finally sitting in the area and see that our plane is just sitting out there.
- Time continues to pass and at about 3:30am, Mike decided it was time to start drinking again.


- 4:30am hits and no sign of us boarding the plane anytime soon.
- Slighly after that, someone makes an announce that we weren't going to board until 5:15am...Mike is still drinking and ran into our Price is Right couple while getting another beer
- 5:15 and still no boarding and lots of angry people. Someone comes on to apologize and than says the only open food/beverage counter will be giving complimentry drinks and food to all guests. Well that line sure got long, fast. Mike was happy he had just bought a beer.
- 6am and Mike was much happier drinking; however, I was not.


- 6:30am and we were finally boarding.

As we walked out to get on the plane, we noticed that it was the same plane that was sitting there since 1am when we showed up. So, it obviously was not delayed inbound from the volcano. Yet that it was Air Tahiti Nui kept blaming. It worked out for us since we could switch our flight to the next day, but I think they're just idiots and used it as a good excuse.

As I climbed the stairs to get into the plane, I knew my seat and had put my ticket stub in my passport and gave it to Mike. As I reached the flight attendant I said "16 A" and continued to walk on. She grabbed my shoulder to stop me and said "Ma'am it is not my fault we are delayed. Do not take it out on me." Ooooo, I was pissed because I didn't do anything to warrant such behavior or tone especially since I knew where I was going and wasn't holding up the line. She ended up being the person who served us and didn't do a great job. She managed to open a champagne bottle right where we were sitting and it sprayed all over us and the couples in front and to the right of us. She didn't even apologize, but said some stuff in French. Upon arrival in LA, she continued to be rude. While taxiing, well just sitting on the runway, she went through the aisles to make sure everyone had their seat belt on and was mean about it. Then the couple in front of us were on the phone getting their messages and she told them they couldn't be on the phone. And then made it a point to get on the PA system and announce it again to everyone. She was B-OTCH, to say the least. Air Tahiti flying home sucked, literally and the ticket counter at the LA airport refused to give us any vouchers or compensation for the night before and for the extra night we were staying in LA. Needless to say, I was fuming, but got the girl's name and customer service info.

We finally made it on our SA flight Tuesday and arrived in Japan on Wednesday evening. WE had a fabulous time in Bora Bora, just not so much fun coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment