Friday, August 13, 2010

Cooking school

I know, its been a while since my last cooking lesson, but finally a Japanese meal that I wanted to cook. As usual there were 4-5 dishes. The main dish was a rice bowl that was topped with chicken, onions, and greens things mixed with egg in a dashi/sake sauce.

So first we started off by prepping everything and making a homemade mayo, yes, homemade. They love mayo on everything, so we made some using an egg white, vinegar, salt and vegetable oil. We put it on our veggies and then they were baked to a golden crisp.



With the rest of the mayo, we mixed it with some fresh daikon and canned scallops. It was actually pretty good and not that mayo-ie. Next we worked on a gelatinous dish that was made from egg whites, soy milk, mirin, and salt. It was put in the fridge to harden and then topped with a yuzu and dashi powder mix. not my favorite dish of the afternoon as I tasted it and didn't eat much.

We also made homemade ice cream, which we did not need an ice cream maker for. Once it was ready, we topped it with some green tea powder for presentation.

We were just about to finish our main dish and it called for 1 egg + the egg white of another egg to be mixed with chicken and onions. Little did I know, we were going to need the egg yolk and mine accidently broke. I was like "oops, oh well" My teacher was like "its ok, I'll egg you another one." I was confused and then looked at my menu with pictures to see that the egg yolk was suppose to go in the middle of the mixture once we put it on the rice. I told her it was ok, but in true Japanese fashion, presentation is key, so she brought me a whole other egg and said, "it has to look right for the picture. Oh. So here is our finished course and the upclose of my rice bowl with a raw egg yolk.




Everything was decent and yes, I did break the yolk and ate it with the rest of the dish. It wasn't bad and definitely a first, but I don't plan on doing that again. My Japanese language teacher told me you can actually cook the yolk and then place it on the bowl. Oh well, until my next class, eat good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment