Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Furniture

As some of you know, we had new furniture being delivered. Our lease on the current furniture was up and we had some money left over to purchase some new things. We got some things that we needed and then some things that I just wanted, specifically to add color or because it was old.

First off, a wine fridge, to house all the wine that we love to drink. It has dual temperature settings and is quite nice.


My prize piece, which I had been searching for was an antique Japanese piece called a tansu. I went shopping everywhere to find something I liked and I did, except they were all very expensive. I finally found a smaller piece that was in the rental budget price and couldn't resist. It's small but fits nicely in its space. It is from the Meiji period, making it about 110-120 years old. The store owner wasn't sure the exact number, but says its a good approximation. I think Mike likes, though I am not really sure. I figure if we are here, we might as well take back something that is authentic from Japan and not a remake. You can definitely tell its old because the drawers have that old wood smell and there are a lot of kinks, but I love it.



In true Mike fashion, he was only concerned with the electronics and a new entertainment system. Here is the one we had before, which was not big enough to house all the DVDs, not to mention the games.



Here is the new entertainment system. It is definitely larger and very black. hence why I also leased various colored vases to add some color.


Here are the last 2 big pieces that we got, a cabinet (similar to a china cabinet) and a dresser for the bedroom.


Now that all the furniture is here, I will start to arrange the vases and pieces in the proper place.
The new appliance that I don't like is our blender, which sucks. I thought it would be a great blender, but no, its not. The blade just isn't good enough, so its a good thing I also got a food processor!

1 comment:

  1. The tansu is awesome! What a great piece and that will be so wonderful to bring back home someday as something authentic. I really love it. The wine fridge is pretty nice too. I'm just a tad bit jealous of that one ;-)

    ReplyDelete