Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pesto and Pizza

PESTO...one of my favorite sauces in the world. My love for pesto slowly grew over the last 10 years. I started out with jarred pesto, but it was always so oily and I never felt good afterward. I looked into making fresh pesto and thought it was a process. However after much delay I found a recipe for fresh pesto and linguine. I made it fresh and have never looked back.

So on Thursday evening it was monthly book club night and I was hosting. I decided to make pesto and linguine. Well, I made too much pesto and needed something to use it with. I could have frozen it but its not recommended with all the ingredients already combined b/c its won't taste as good. However, you can freeze the blanched basil leaves and then just add everything when you are ready...Ok so Friday I made pesto pizza. I bought the pizza dough, slathered the pesto on it, topped it with some pancetta and sprinkled a mix of gouda/white cheddar cheese on it. It baked in like 10 minutes and the cheese was nice and gooey.

Here is our pizza. What a great way to use the left over pesto and have somewhat gourmet pizza without having to pay ridiculous amounts for it at the restaurant.



1 comment:

  1. I am posting a comment! Can you believe it?!?! Anyway - I too love pesto. I recently made an arugula pesto by Michael Chiarello from Food Network. Oh. my. goodness. It will rock your world. I have yet to find a single thing that it doesn't taste delicious on!

    XOXO - Ashley

    ReplyDelete