Monday, June 7, 2010

June Golf Tournament

Since Amanda is gone and I had to keep myself busy this weekend, I signed up for a golf tournament on Sunday. And since I hadn't been to the range in a while, I got a few guys together to go to the simulation golf bar on Saturday to warm up. Both very good days.
At the simulation golf, I shot a 76, which included an eagle from 195 yards out! It could have been even better but I tripled the 18th, got in some woods. Nonetheless, I was encouraged.
Sunday morning I got up at 5:30 to go catch a 70 minute train ride, followed by a 30 minute bus ride. Got to the course - Jack Nicklaus designed, absolutely beautiful.



We got started a bit late, but were off by 10:00. Play was typically slow, and I played okay on the front, not great. We stopped for lunch (Japanese culture thing), and I explained my philosophy of how the beer at the turn makes you play better on the back nine. It turned out to be true. I posted a 38 on the back nine, which included my first eagle ever! I teed off from 305 down a hill, and it went perfectly straight, a little left of the green. At least I thought so. When I got down there to look for it, there was a ball sitting about 5 feet from the pin. Great feeling.
My partners had a rough hole, scoring a 7 and a 9, which meant that I was standing on the green for about 10 minutes just looking at this eagle putt. I could have sworn they were trying to ice me. Anyway, I looked at the putt from every possible angle and when it finally was my turn, nailed it right in the back of the cup. That would have been a tough miss.
The tournament was Peoria style, which means your handicap is made up at the end by the computer based on a subset of holes played. Basically it means the winner is determined by luck. But I was lucky, cause I ended up getting 3rd place with an 82, calculated handicap of 8. (I'd love to be an 8 handicap)
Anyway, Amanda's getting back on Wednesday and I'm going to be dragging her to the golf bar and golf course alot this summer if this keeps up!

1 comment:

  1. Dudes, catching up with you guys here... congrats and looking fab and happy! -Casi

    ReplyDelete