Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Invasion of the Crabs...

AND NO, neither one of us have them...silly people.

While at the fabric store, I found this super cute children's yukata fabric that had crabs on it. Not sure what attracted me to, but it really is super cute. Mike of course shook his head at me!

Well I managed to make my next project out of this fabric. I decided on placemats and what better summer placemat than one that has crabs on it. Making the placemats was actually pretty easy, it was the binding that got me.
So, binding is what goes on the edge of the placemat, and makes it look clean and completely square. This is a technique you can use and my book gave me the step by step process. I have managed to make 3 placemats....See below





The first one was a little off as the binding is not exactly even all the way around, HA! However, the next came out better and then the 3rd one even better. Making your own binding is not simple especially when you have to "stitch in the ditch" to complete the process. My stitching is not very steady, so this was quite difficult; however, by the time I got to the 3rd placemat, I was much better and going slower with he machine.

Well, no one just has 3 placemats, so I have to make more, but the fabric is no longer available. I did manage to a find the same fabric but the crabs were in different colors. RATS....oh well, unique and non-conforming are definitely keys in my sewing, so why not make the placemats the same way!

No comments:

Post a Comment