Monday, July 4, 2011

New project

So I've decided to try a new project/hobby to see if I like it. Too bad I didn't take it up sooner, so I could try everything on my niece on nephews.

Sewing, and eventually quilting, are the new projects I am taking on. There is a definite gap between my generation and my mom's when it comes to using a sewing machine. Don't get me wrong, I know how to sew buttons by hand, but to use a machine is a totally new skill, not to mention learning the lingo that goes with.
You have to learn the machine, the types of stitching, the length, threading the bobbin and the actual needle. UGH, such a process.

So I bought a sewing a machine and a book to start this process. A good friend of mine is having a baby, so I thought I should try some bibs and burp bloths as they are easy to make. I did manage to make some, with the lines not so straight and some slight imperfections, but they work.

Here are the burp cloths. The one in the middle should hav ethe same pattern as the other two, but I sewed it backwards..HA I thought of ripping the seams, but NO, so she will get a backwards one.


The bibs were much more difficult as the turning didn't work out so well. The first one, was a good test run. However, these 2 turned out much better and I'll be giving these to my friend Erin tomorrow during her baby shower.


On my quest to learn about sewing and quilting some older lady friends have been great in giving me their knowledge. Plus a Japanese lady in the women's group I joined is like a master quilter and has graciously decided to give me pointers, tips, and any help that I need.

Next on my sewing table, is to attempt to make some placemats and continue to move through my learning book, one project at a time!

1 comment: