Wednesday, January 20, 2010

1st Japanese lesson


Today I had my very 1st Japanese lesson. I am such a nerd/school girl. I had Mike print my syllabus, got all my pencils/pens ready and had my books out on the table ready to start. I will be taking lessons every Wednesday and Friday from 10-12, which in my opinion is alot of Japanese. We shall see how it goes. The school coordinator came by with my teacher, her name is Fumi-san. She is a nice lady and will definitely help me learn some Japanese. She is a bit older, but not sure how old b/c all the Japanese people look younger (I need to figure out their secrets). Funny enough, she also that I was pretty young and guessed early 20s. So, sadly I had to correct her and mention my real age of 27.

We started our lesson and got through the first part in "Expressions for survival," which I didn't have a problem. Then we went into the next book, "First steps in Japanese," which was good until the very end. After 1.45 hours of Japanese, I was starting to get frustrated because she was talking too fast and while I was still processing, she was expecting me to answer. So I finally said, we have to stop because I am getting frustrated with this. She understood and was like you will need a break and I was like "YES." After this we chatted for the rest of the lesson to get to know each other. I found out her hobbies are "tea ceremonies and kimono," which are 2 things I soooo want to learn about and said that. She was surprised I wanted to learn about tea ceremonies, but I really do. She said she would do a formal one for me one day, later on, if I really wanted to learn.

Anywho this is what I have learned from the day's lesson:
- important words: "sumimasen" "_____, onegaishimasu" "hajimemashite" "Doo itashimashite" & "o-kuni" = "excuse" "____, please" "how do you do" "you are welcome" & "my country"
- 2 hours of straight Japanese is a bit much, so breaks will be needed
- don't understand the use grammar in this language or how 1 word translates into 4 english words
- my spanish speaking abilities are/are not helping me with pronunciation
- my teacher is a certified tea ceremony teacher and is willing to show me traditional Japanese food and formal tea ceremony
- my teacher is a bit scary and will probably get mad if I don't do my homework, which is nicely assigned for my lesson on Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment