Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Clerk = Crack

I had my 3rd Japanese lesson today and my teacher is very impressed with me actually doing my homework and learning the hiragana characters. I showed her how i re-arranged them and she didn't like that b/c it is not the way the Japanese learn them. But it did help me learn them and remember the sound b/c the sound of the vowels is just like spanish vowels. They read them "a" "i" "u" "e" "o", but it was easier for me to learn it "a" "e" "i" "o" "u". She said at least 3 times to learn it the correct way. Oh well, whatever I can do to help myself.

So, I am learning how to ask for things while shopping and there is dialogue that we recite, so I can practice. She tells me which character I will be reciting and which one she is. Today she was "ten'in," a new word I did not know and she tried to say it in english, so I could understand. She said "clerk" but I heard "crack" and I repeated this. She was like yes "clerk" with me hearing "crack." I finally looked down at my book and realized it was clerk and said oh, clerk. She proceeded to ask me what "crack" was and I was like, I shouldn't tell you. In my head, I was like 1.) if i told you, you wouldn't get it, 2.) I shouldn't be thinking this way. I did say, not a good meaning, but then she tried to look it up on her dictionary. I assume she will get the correct meaning of crack, as in a crack in the wall, and not the meaning I was thinking, which is crack, the kind you get from a dealer. Oh the joys of learning Japanese. Here is the count:

Japanese language - 5 (it gets 2 points today for having random ass rules for changing numbers when saying them)
Amanda - 3 (1 for doing my hw, and a freebie for thinking clerk = crack)

No comments:

Post a Comment