Sunday, January 31, 2010

I'm going to.....

Cooking school. Yes, you read that correctly. You may crack all the jokes you want because I can't hear them, but I am going to cooking school to learn how to make some Japanese food! I am excited and it gives me something else to do. I am hopeful it will not be a repeat of my junior year in college when I was learning how to perfect Mexican rice. Libby is still alive after many tastings, so I think we are good here. I will be attending the ABC International cooking school.

On Friday afternoon, I went to the place to check it out and see if I could sign up for a class. Turns out, I arrived just in time because a 1 day lesson was going to start. I was excited as I was talking to the teacher and I even used some of the Japanese I had learned. This class was great, as it was only 500 yen and we were making chocolate cupcakes and I got to take 4 of them home. Yum. So I attended the class with this teacher, Azusa-san b/c she spoke English. Here is a right out of the oven and then ready to go in my tummy picture.


Anywho, she gave me all the information about the school. You have to pay a 1 time membership fee and then you can take either the cooking, baking, or bread courses. I would definitely like to take the bread course b/c bread is good, but then I would get fat and we can't have that. So I may just take a couple of those. I won't be taking the baking class because Mike doesn't eat sweets, so again, I would get fat. I really wanted to learn how to make Japanese, so that is the class I am taking. They offer 3 menus per month. I just have to show up, learn, possibly it after we are done, and then I get the recipes. Azusa-san speaks good English and said many of her clients are international, so that is good. Funny thing, she asked me if I had any friends and I was like "no, I don't have any friends" However, that statement just rolled off my tongue naturally and I continued talking. She told me I would be able to make some friends in this class since they will also speak English. My first class is on Thursday at 11:15. I'll let you know how it goes. The great part about this place is that when I get back to the states, the first dinner party I will be throwing will be Japanese cuisine, with the pizza guy on back up in case I mess it all up.

On another note, I walking home after this lesson around 5:30ish and I heard some loud screams. As I am walking, someone is being arrested across the street and there were like 4 officers trying to control the person even though they already had the person in the back. I thought about continuing to walk by and not stop to look, but said nay. So I stopped and of course I had to get a picture of it, which made me think again "am I that American, who is taking a picture of this." Yes, I was, but didn't feel so bad b/c some Japanese man across the street and up close, was video-taping with his camera, so yeah, I don't feel bad. It would have been a normal arrest except for the yelling of this person, 4 officers trying to control them and then, the use of the restraints. As I was watching, one police guy opened the trunk and got out a very long, what looked like a belt or restraint and proceeded to go back to the back seat. Not sure what this person did, but must not have been good if they needed to be held down. The picture isn't great b/c of traffic, but at least you know I am not lying. I was quite excited and then continued on my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment