Monday, February 1, 2010

Paella & Are you Asian?

Today I went out to buy a hand mixer to make the most wonderful cookie ever. However, I am missing an ingredient, so it looks like I will be making banana something instead, since they are going bad.

On my way back home, I took the long way and ended up walking more than I needed to. But I ended up in Akasaka (area where we live) and decided I needed to try another restaurant. I walked into this Spainish Wine place since their menu said they were serving paella and the picture looked good. Well, turns out as I was entering 4 people were leaving, making me the only person in the restaurant. Come to think of it, I kind of like being the only one eating because I don't feel rushed or hurried that someone is waiting for a table to eat. Today it was extra good no one was around because as I squeezed my lemon on the paella, the squirts went shooting to the left and not on my paella. They would definitely have hit the person sitting next to me, if there was one! For a great price, I got a small salad, small cup of soup, and a nice plate of Paella.

As you can see, they were quite genereous with the seafood, even including some mini octopus(on the left side), at least that is what I think they are. I said I would try everything once before never eating it again, so I tried the mini octopus. I cut its head off first and ate it. It was chewy and did not taste like chicken, but it wasn't bad, so I finished the rest of that one, but didn't eat the other one. Before I left, my waiter wanted to chat, which I was all for, since I don't get that many people speaking to me or speaking English for that matter. He asked where I was from and I told him and told him how I was here and trying to learn Japanese. Funny thing, he thought I had some family here or something because he thought I was partly Asian. That's definitely a new one for me, as the Mexican girl in Japan, who gets mistaken for Indian, Spanish, South American, and now half American and half Asian. By the time I leave this place, I think I will be more culturally international than I really am. So here is to me being partly Asian according to this guy, which may explain why my eyes are slanting more when I take pictures. Hmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment