Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent begins...

Mike told me about a Catholic church about 15 minutes walking distance from where we live. I went to church this morning to get some ashes and things were a bit different. If I had read the posting before walking in, I would not have thought it so weird. Apparently due to the H1N1 virus, they have covered the holy water, only allow you to get communion in your hand, and everyone bows during peace. They want to avoid the spread of the virus, so everyone is doing these things. After mass, I read the sign and realized it wasn't so weird.

For Lent, Mike decided to give up pizza and beer, which is big. It also means that I will probably have to give them up as well since he would not appreciate me eating pizza and drinking beer while he sits across from me. I decided to give up all red meat and stick to fish and veggies for the time. I told Mike and he was like "what, well you do cook all the meals, so I can't really complain." We shall see how it goes, but hopefully we can help each other out. I actually thought about giving up alcohol, but we are headed to wine country in 2 weeks, and that would be out the door the minute we arrived in Sonoma.

To celebrate the beginning of Lent, we had pizza and beer on Monday. Then last night I grilled NY strip steak with caramelized onions & green peppers with roasted potatoes and green beans. YUM.

Now time to figure out what we will have tonight...

1 comment: