Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chinese Cuisine for Lesson # "ni (2)"

Today was my 2nd cooking lesson and we were cooking Chinese food. The lesson was very fast today, so I wasn't able to take as good of notes as last time, but considering we used some random ingredients, not sure if I will be making these dishes again. We started out with boiling the broccoli and cleaning the shrimp. I was hoping she would not ask me to clean the shrimp because I hate doing that part. At first she didn't and then she told me to which with the girl. I was like RATS.
Next we started making this white sauce that went on top of the broccoli. We started with ginger and garlic paste. Then we added the chopped white onions and canned crab. Then we added in some Chinese sake. Next was some salt, sugar, powdered chicken stock, and some kacumchiko (sp?, some Japanese ingredient). Next was the water and some corn starch to make it sticky. We turned off the heat and added in the meringue from 1 egg white and some fresh cream. And it was ready to go over the broccoli

To the cleaned shrimp, with the shell still on, we added more Chinese sake, salt, white pepper, and an egg white. Then we added some potato starch along with some water, which is suppose to make it bubbly as you mix it around! We cooked the shrimp on both sides, just to change the color. Next was the spicy sauce (which wasn't spicy). We started out with some ginger and garlic paste, tomato ketchup, and some tobangan (spicy stuff). I think we added in some water next, followed by the onion and shrimp. once it was all mixed, my teacher added some Japanese vinegar and some oil, to keep it shiny!
We also scrambled an egg and then the last dish. It was a mixure of dried squid, which she made me try before putting it in. It chewy and interesting and yes, I did try, but not because I wanted to. We mixed it with some celery and kimchi. definitely interesting little dish. Here is our meal after it was done.


Everything was good and that celery, kimchi, squid thing wasn't bad except when you only bit into the squid. Apparently the Japanese eat dried squid when they drink beer. Not my idea of a beer snack, but whatever works for them. I think I will stick to nuts or better yet, chicken wings!! Next lesson is tomorrow, so let's hope no squid!

No comments:

Post a Comment