Friday, February 12, 2010

A sea of adventures

Today started out with my Japanese lesson, which went well. We managed to get on the topic of colors because the dialogue we were doing talked about the yellow train. So I learned the rainbow colors and when Fumi-san said that orange and pink are the same here and in the US, I said that is boring. Good thing I don't fantasize about pink like other girls. She also mentioned that they have some many Japanese names for these 2 colors, that it is easier to say pink or orange. Then she told me that green is named "midori" and I was like "oh like midori liquor." Of course, she asked me what that was and I was thinking, my mind goes to alcohol, wonder if that is a problem." So I explained to her that midori in the US is green, which makes it easy to remember it in Japanese. She laughed me! Then we continued on and were on the subject of calling people and which numbers I should use for emergencies. Well, she decided I needed to use the phone directory and ask for the number to a department store, all in Japanese mind you. So I call the number and ask for Matsuya Ginza and get the number. I had to listen to it twice b/c it was too fast for me. Then she made me call the number to make sure it was the right one and when they answered, I merely said "ok thanks" and hung up. Was not happy I had to do that, but she thought I did very well. whatever

Next I had to go grocery shopping for a few things and pick up the dry cleaning, which is conveniently located at the grocery along with a shoe/key repair shop. I couldn't find my ticket to pick up the dry cleaners and looked for it everywhere. I figured it is either in the trash or I placed it somewhere that I don't remember. Oh well. So did my shopping and then tried to get the clothes. She asked for my ticket and the only thing I could say was "lost ticket." Then she said a whole bunch of stuff I didn't understand and I said "lost ticket." Then she said "o-namae was," which I understood (yay japanese lessons) and told her my name. Then she said more stuff I didn't understand and asked for my number, which I gave her in Japanese. So she confirmed, I was who I was and then had to reprint the tickets, which I don't think she liked. Ooops. At the end, she did give me a 10% coupon, so it wasn't a total misfortune.

Next, I had my first hair cut appointment here, which I was a bit scared about. Mike goes to this salon and said the guy studied in New York for a long time, and knows what he is doing. So I show up and am ready. We start with the shampooing of the hair, which I always love. They put the normal towel around your neck and then I got a towel that went over my legs and another that went over my chest. Guess they didn't want to get my clothes wet??? After my hair was washed, I got a massage and it was great. The guy rubbing on my shoulders said "very hard shoulders" and I replied, "yes I know." This means, I obviously have been doing waaaayyyyy too much house work and am in need of a break and gives me a reason to go get a massage. Good thing I found 2 in Roppongi that have great reviews. Let's hope Mike sees eye to eye with me on this request. Time for hair cutting, Yuri (the stylist) asks what I want and I tell him 2-3 inches shorter, thinned out, cut my bangs, layered. In the end, my hair came out better than I expected even though I had to ask him to cut my bangs a bit more. I like the cut, but it isn't has short as I would have liked it and I am not sure he gave me as many layers as I wanted. He also didn't chi it as well as he could have, so it is a bit puffier than I would like, but tomorrow it should be flatter. In some places it looks longer than other places, so we shall see. Good thing about it, is that I got 20% off because Mike referred me and I continue to get this discount if I schedule my next appt. within 3 months. So I scheduled one for 2.5 months from now, right before we leave on the honeymoon. However, he will have to cut it shorter since I will want minimum hassle with it
while honeymooning. Let me know what you think even though it looks the same!



previous count
Japanese language - 5
Amanda - 3

Now
Japanese language - 8 (2 for dry cleaning situation, 1 for midori)
Amanda - 4 (1 for calling the store)

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, a score eh, well that calls for a bet. O/U on number of days before Amanda re-takes the lead over Japanese Language...Any thoughts guys? I'm think 180

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I don't even put in the count because, yeah, Japanese language would be further along...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "wayyyyyyyy too much housework" = you definitely deserve all the massages you need!

    I'm so proud of you for calling the store too. I would have hated that as well...

    ReplyDelete