Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blonde moment

Blonde moment indeed - I messed up the time of my 2nd cooking class today. I thought it was at 1:15, giving me the morning to find an apron. Well, I get all my things together, walk over to the place, open my planner to find out that I have missed my class, which was at 11:15am. I was 2 hours late. RATS. The teacher saw me and was like "you missed my class, they are eating now." They were eating and it was the Japanese menu, so I was super bummed. There was also like 2 Americans/foreigners, I am more bummed that I didn't meet them and make friends. RATSx2 I had to reschedule for 2 weeks from now, so that week of blog posts should be good since I will have 2 cooking classes that week. Unfortunately that week I will also be a bad Japanese student and cancel my Japanese lesson to go to cooking class. tehe Anywho, I had to pay a small materials fee for missing the class. They are all about conservation and not being wasteful, which is good. Bad part is, Mike is definitely going to make fun of me for missing class and crack some joke about how I have nothing to do, so how could I miss the few things I do have planned. It should be a good time.

In honor of missing cooking class(though I am really bummed), I decided I would re-make one of the dishes we made last week, shrimp au-gratin, for dinner. It was a success, even though we did have a few problems. The white sauce was not as thick as I would have liked it, so maybe I have to stir the rue longer before adding in the milk. I don't have individual ramicans, so I made it in a square cassarole dish, so hopefully it will be ok. Here is the right out of the oven picture. Let me know how you think I did from the previous picture. I am hopefully getting Mike to write something after dinner. All I know is that I cheated a bit as it came out of the oven and ate a pasta shell, hmmmmm.


Amanda told me to blog about her dinner. I tried to write "It was good", but then she got mad at me. So, "It was good, but it needed more sauce". I don't think she'll like that any better, but at least it's more. I don't exactly know how au gratin is Japanese cuisine, except there was shrimp in it. I guess the important thing is it was much better than anything I could cook for myself, so I'm very happy. And full.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, when did, au gratin (french for topped with cheese) become Japanese. Can't say I knew they even ate cheese? Pardon me Sensei, can I offer you some Brie?

    ReplyDelete