Friday, February 19, 2010

Traditional Japanese sweets

Not much is going on here. The weather is crazy from snowing in the morning to the sun being out a few hours later.

On Wednesday, my Japanese teacher brought over some traditional Japanese sweets, that are served with green tea, and some green tea. During our break, she gave me the sweets and made me some tea. During tea ceremonies, you serve both soft and hard sweets. The soft sweet is the green thing below. It is a kind of Japanese dough that is filled with bean paste. The hard sweets are literally sugar, but the ones shaped liked flowers were good. I understand why she says you eat the sweets first and then drink the tea. Traditional green tea is made from a powder and is very bitter. She used the bowl to make the tea.

I definitely enjoyed my green tea and sweets. She is so nice, that she brought extra sweets for Mike to taste and gave me a mini jar of green tea powder. When I told Mike all of this, he just rolled his eyes. I think he is jealous because his Japanese teacher isn't as great as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment