Sunday, February 14, 2010

Simulation Golf for Happy "Over-rated" Day

Happy Over-rated, I mean Love, Day to all....

Things are done a little different in Asia when it comes to Valentines Day. Here, women are suppose to buy men gifts including chocolate. Then, on March 14, it is White Day where men buy women gifts 3x as much as what they got including white chocolate. So while I was out this week, I spent some time looking at the chocolate selection at the store, debating whether or not to buy Mike some chocolate. After about 5 minutes, I opted out of it and decided it was against my beliefs. I don't care for this day and from the title of this post, you can see that I think it's over-rated! Anywho, when I came home and told Mike about buying him chocolate, he said "why would you do that, I don't like chocolate, you would eat them." I said "I know you don't like it and yes, I would eat them, but it was the thought that counts." So instead of chocolate, we went to the simulation golf bar instead.

Simulation golf is the one thing here that I know Mike LOVES and I bet he would buy one if he knew where to get it and he had a house to put it in. Simulation golf is just like playing real golf, except you aren't outside and you hit your ball at a giant projecter screen. For the most part, it reads the ball pretty accurately, but sometimes it is off. The platform you stand on even moves to adjust for slopes, etc.
We had a good time and were able to finish all 18 holes in our allotted time frame. Here are a couple of swing shots. Here you can see where Mike's ball hits the screen


Concentration face

Here is where you can see my ball hit the screen, towards the bottom.

Time for putting

And of course Mike had to take a picture of the score card. As you can see, I am still not a great golfer by any means. However, I did fairly well on Hole 8 and had really great shots on each hole.
I do like how Amanda goes through the whole blog and doesn't mention that I finished even par on the back nine. I'm still debating whether I can start to include these scores in my handicap - this was my best so far, either real or screen golf. And Amanda is getting much better. Many of her double pars came because the machine is not really set up to read her shot style. She likes to scoot it along the ground, and outside it would probably go 40-50 yards. The screen more often than not reads it as a mis-hit of about 10 (in one case 0.2) yards. We'll be able to test that theory once we make it out to a real course, hopefully next month.


It was fun and an activity that we will probably do frequently while here.

1 comment:

  1. The machine doesn't like the "worm burners" eh? Can't say I'll be playing any time then.

    ReplyDelete