Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hanami party @ Yoyogi Park

Hanami = flower viewing and what better way to celebrate cherry blossoms than with a flower viewing party where you eat, drink, and be merry...although some people got a little too merry. Yesterday I went to Yoyogi park for a hanami party that was being hosted by Tokyo gaijins. The email which Mike got stated for everyone to wear a red shirt so we could locate the area. I was super excited especially since I would be able to meet other people and make friends. Mike was golfing in the Sakura Cup and couldn't go, but that didn't stop me.

I got our handy picnic backpack ready with some beer, chips, nuts, hummus, cheese and crackers and got our picnic blanket ready. I headed over about 2:00 and when I got there, it was a mad house, literally. This park is really big and every Japanese person you could imagine was there, literally. I started walking around in hopes of finding the blocked off area or the sea of red shirts. After about 30 minutes and walking through half of the park, I couldn't find them at all. I was losing hope, which is when I took out my first beer and started off again. My lack of hope continued to decrease b/c by that point I had been through the majority of the park and nothing. I was down and out and literally about to cry because I was so frustrated and didn't have anyone there with me. At that point, I asked God to let me find someone, seriously.
Well, I sucked it up, didn't cry and kept going. Our friends Lorena and Miguel were suppose to meet me there after an appt. they had, so I tried calling them again, but the phones weren't work that great. I sat for a bit and then said, let me try this other area. As I started my way there, I got a message from Lorena stating they were in the park, but when I tried to call her, I couldn't get through. After a bit, I turned back to go to the water area and by sheer luck and the grace of God, I ran into Miguel and Lorena. I was sooooo happy and my mood began to pick up. We tried briefly to find the Tokyo gaijin party, but no luck or see of red or flag or something. I even found the Canadian party and was tempted to join them.
So we set up shop and had a good time.

The party right behind us started talking to us, so we made friends with this girl.

She even gave us some sake!

Here are some pictures of us throughout our 3.5 hours hanging out...Miguel and Lorena

Me, cherry blossoms, lots of people, & my beer

And of course, various pictures of sakura around the park. Check out the people. Last year they estimated 150,000 people at the park and I am sure there was just as many there yesterday...crazy







It turned out to be a good afternoon after all. I had alot of fun and have determined that cherry blossom season is the Japanese version of Mardi Gras or St. Patrick's Day...a reason to throw various parties and celebrate these flowers with food, drinks, and laughs. I'll be looking forward to next year, but will make sure to have someone with me when I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment