Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Japanese cooking in Miles kitchen

I finally did, I replicated the Japanese meal I made at school. Now I didn't make all dishes from school because I didn't like all of them, but I did make the important ones. I figured it was a good time to make it as Mike wanted me to cook something from school and a friend of mine from back home, George, is visiting, so why not make a japanese meal. He is an artist who received a grant to travel to a bunch of countries and Japan is one of those! He spent like 3 months in S. America, has been traveling around Japan for the last 3 weeks, and will be moving on to Korea, China, Vietnam, and who knows where else. He is the photographer of my cooking adventure.
Anywho,I went to the grocery store and had to find the Japanese ingredients, which I found with the help of speaking japanese and the attendant. Here all the ingredients


I had lots of things to prepare and one of them was the chicken croquette. You get the seaweed ready; however, I didn't buy the flat sheet, but half sheets, so I had to improvise. On the seaweed, I put the cheese and the fish eggs. DID NOT like having to put fish eggs on there, but yeah, part of the dish.

Next, I put the rolled or in my case, 2 strips smashed together inside a sliced open chicken and started rolling the chicken around it.


To the meat mixture that was used for the potato croquette and just to eat, I had to pour the sauce on it as it cooked. Special sauce of soy, mirin, cooking sake, and 8 tsps. of brown sugar.

The meal also called for quick miso soup, if you remember from the post. Here is the finished product of miso soup. In the back pots are the cooked rice and the finished meat mixture.

At last the finished product. We have quick miso, chicken croquette, potato/beef croquette, and white rice (the good sticky kind). Now I realize this Japanese meal may have looked better if I had Japanese dishes, but hey, I use what I got!


Both Mike and George enjoyed dinner, so yay for me replicating it. Mike said he didn't like the chicken croquette for some reason. Oh well. I am hoping the next Japanese meal I make is a bit more of what you all see, like soba, and tempura. Happy eating, whatever it is you are eating!
Sayonnara

No comments:

Post a Comment